My photo
Welcome to my blog! I am a born again worshiper! My life is dedicated to God, Family, Friends, Music Ministry and spreading words of encouragement!!
In all things...ALWAYS PUSH FORWARD!

Phil 3:14 "With my eyes fixed on the goal I will PUSH on to secure the prize of God's heavenward call in Christ Jesus -"

Feb 7, 2010

Bittersweet Transitions

Pastor’s last sermon! ---



The Bitter:

My pastor preached his last sermon at our church today. He has answered the call to Pastor at another church in another state. I am very close to my pastor, his beautiful wife and their children. No one wants to see someone that they are close to move away. The selfish side of us wants them to stay. I can’t be selfish though. They have been blessed with a new opportunity. To see them go is sad but they are not gone forever, they are simply moving on; making a transition. It’s God's timing. He is in ultimate control of what happens.



The Sweet

Since God has called my pastor to another church, then GOD is ready for our church to be refreshed. You know how you press F5 on your computer and it clears everything up and gives a new perspective! It is growth for all involved as long as we stay in God's will. Just as Ezekiel 37: 3 says, “Son of man, can these bones live?" I read this a few weeks ago not knowing that my pastor was going to preach "Can these bones live?" today as his final sermon at the Chapel. The word confirmed what I was feeling! I sense new life, new opportunities in God's will! I am thrilled about what God has in store. In fact I am not anxious, but the opposite. I am excited about what GOD is going to do in my life and the life of our church. We’ve only just begun.


The Passing of one we loved so dear!


Bittersweet

After the service & during the reception, we found out that one of our dear saints had passed on. Deacon Emeritus Clarence Hoskins made his transition. I knew him as the gentle man that sat on the seat on the second row, directly in front of where I sing praise and worship. I would make my way to him on Sundays to make sure I spoke. He would say, “It’s so good to see you smiling. You must be happy!” (smile) Recently it was discovered that he had an illness that would eventually take him home. His passing today was peaceful. He went to sleep with his family close by. Bittersweet!



Bittersweet because it sad that he is gone. Sad that we won’t be able to talk to him and watch him give bubble gum to the kids. Sad to see his family mourn for we feel for them as well. Sweet because he has no more pain. No more sorrow! This morning I sang Israel’s version of Trading My Sorrows. The lyrics are, “ I’m trading my sorrow, I’m trading my pain and I’m laying it down for the joy of the Lord….It goes on to say, Joy is when you wake up! Oh to go to sleep and wake up in the arms of Jesus. Now that’s sweet!



Yes today has been a day of bittersweet transitions. We’ve faced new realities. Things are no longer as they were. Our pastor has moved on as well as Deacon Hoskins. They have made the transition. What is the lesson learned? The lesson is that our days are numbered. Each moment is precious and we are not to take it for granted.


Dear God,

I pray that I will value each moment. I will not get caught up in confusion and the distractions of life and recognize that your love prevails above all. I will love others and share in their joy and their sorrow. I will be an encourager to those as they go forth and be a shoulder to lean on when others are feeling down. Hear my prayer Oh Lord! In Jesus name, I pray! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment