My photo
Welcome to my blog! I am a born again worshiper! My life is dedicated to God, Family, Friends, Music Ministry and spreading words of encouragement!!
In all things...ALWAYS PUSH FORWARD!

Phil 3:14 "With my eyes fixed on the goal I will PUSH on to secure the prize of God's heavenward call in Christ Jesus -"

Mar 2, 2010

Hurdles-How I Got Over!

Hurdles- How I got over!!


Have you ever run hurdles? It’s all about skill, timing and mindset. When I was growing up, I had the skill. I could run and I was fast. My 9th grade gym teacher recognized this and asked me to run track. One of the events that she wanted me to participate in was the hurdles. She figured a cheerleader that could run would be a perfect combination. The training began with timing. She had me count out the steps between the hurdles to teach me the rhythm. Then a problem presented itself. I didn’t have the mindset. Seeing those hurdles placed in front of me seemed like a daunting task. How in the world was I going to do this? Keep in mind, I liked to excel at everything that I did and this was not coming easily. I knew that in order to get to the finish line, I had to clear them. If my timing was off, I would either fall or knock the hurdles down. A misstep could actually cause me to lose the race! More about this later…

PERCEPTION VS REALITY

Those hurdles looked like HUGE obstacles to me. It was the perception. Just as in life, if we allow our hurdles to scare us, we are already defeated. We can easily psyche ourselves out of running. Every step toward them may cause us to pause, stop or turn around. We begin to tell ourselves that there is no way we will ever be able to get over the hurdle. What do we do then? Give up and quit! Defeated!

On the other hand, there is another choice. We can choose to face the hurdle head on! Instead of a defeatist attitude, we can choose to win. Our hurdles are not insurmountable. The hurdle event in track and field is defined as a sport where the sprinter runs over the hurdle or barrier. RUN over the barrier!! That’s right. The barriers are there but it is expected that we RUN OVER THEM! That’s good to me people. If it was an impossible task then there would be no need for the sport. That’s the same for you and me. Barriers may be in front of us. The hurdles may appear monumental BUT with faith in GOD all things are possible. With perseverance and HIS help, all things can be won! We can clear those hurdles. When we cross the finish line and look back and see how we got over, we can see why the barriers were there. There to show us that we can do it. There to teach a lesson and growth. Showing us that we CAN push forward!

I AM A WINNER

Back in the 9th grade, the hurdles won. I let them defeat me. I gave up and moved onto to something else. Although, I gave up, I learned a valuable lesson from that experience. I learned that I should have stuck with it. I shouldn’t have let the fear of failing get in my way. I learned that although I was intimidated by the task, it was only my perception. It wasn’t real. I have taken that lesson and used it in life. Used it to remind me to push forward, even when I don’t feel like it! Push forward, even when I don’t want to because the end result will be oh so sweet! We can win the race! We are victorious and we are winners! In Jesus name, AMEN!

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment